Happy Sunday everyone! I hope you’ve had a fantastic weekend, it’s not over yet! I have a lovely Summer inspired recipe of lemon sponge cookies to share with you today. It’s so quick and easy to do, you’ll whip these up in no time at all!
I’m really loving baking at the moment, it has quickly turned into my safety net when anxiety takes over my life. It’s so good to have found something that can take my mind off everything else for a while. Though I am trying to lose weight so I’ve cut back my baking to once a fortnight, anyway that won’t stop me from sharing great recipes with you.
Lemon Sponge Cookies
Let me start by saying that these are cookies but not as we know it. These lemon sponge cookies have a soft, light sponge texture which reminds me a little of Whoopie Pies! They’re moist with a fresh and zingy lemon taste.
These lemon sponge cookies really are perfect for Summer – add a scoop of ice-cream between two cookies and you’ve got yourself one tasty dessert. In fact they’d go down a treat at birthday parties and barbecues!
60g Unsalted butter, softened
Zest of one lemon
110g Caster sugar
One medium egg
30ml lemon juice
30ml cold water
130g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
Makes 12 cookies
- Preheat oven to 175°C, Gas mark 4. Line two baking tins/sheets with non-stick parchment.
- With an electric mixer/whisk (or by hand if you want a little workout), cream together the butter, lemon zest and sugar until light and fluffy – should take roughly 5 minutes
- Add the egg, lemon juice and water to the butter mix and combine gently. The mixture will look curdled but carry on, it’s fine 🙂
- Sift the dry mix together in a bowl and add to the creamed mixture. Mix with a spatula until well incorporated, but not overbeaten.
- Measure tablespoon sized amounts of the batter onto a baking sheet, spacing 3-4cm apart from each one.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes, until light and golden. Leave to cool before removing carefully
Warning, these cookies are addictive… I’m currently eating one with a cup of tea and trying to stop myself from grabbing any more!
I’m enjoying experimenting with chocolate free recipes! So I’d love to know what your favourite chocolate-free cookie or biscuit is. Let me know in the comments!